5 credits or 10 credits
Work Experience is a great opportunity for you to earn credits as you gain experience in the world of work. Students can earn up to 30 high school credits, 15 of which will go toward the Alberta High School Diploma. Each 25 hours you work at your job, either paid or unpaid, earns a credit at the 10, 20 or 30 level.
Your work experience supervisors are:
- Mr. Spinney during the regular school year (September to June)
- Mr. Willmott, Mr. Demone and Mr. Denney oversee the summer months (July to August)
In order for you to get started, here are the things you need to do:
- Contact your work experience supervisor to request an Employer/Parent Consent Form. Have your employer fill out this form and return it to thew school.
- Your work site must be approved for safety. Your work experience supervisor will visit all new work sites to ensure it is a safe place for you to work and that it complies with school standards.
- You must copy and complete the Weekly Activity Log each week. This (and your pay stubs if applicable) will be your record to demonstrate you have acquired hours toward your credits. It also tracks your workplace activities. Be sure to get each log sheet signed off by your supervisor.
- Once you've obtained the necessary number of hours for course credits to be awarded, ask your employer to complete the Employer Evaluation Form.
- In order for your work time to earn credits, you will have to complete HCS3000, which is a one-credit module that can be done online. Ask your counselor to get you registered. It also earns you a grade 12 credit!
- Weekly Activity Log Sheet
- Parent Consent Form
- Employer Consent Form - Please contact work experience supervisor to get a copy of this form.
- Employer Evaluation Form